Scoliosis is a medical condition characterized by a person’s spine curving sideways. On a normal spine xray the spine appears straight but if a patient has scoliosis the spine will look like a “c” or “s.” If you suspect you have scoliosis there are some things to look for as follows.
Besides looking at x rays there are some signs you that you could have scoliosis so you want to observe yourself in front of a mirror.
- Notice if your head is not centered on your body, or are your shoulders uneven (either one is in front of the other or one might be higher than the other)
- Uneven shoulder blades: one is more prominent or higher
- Uneven waist angle: the gap between arm to trunk is wider on one side
- One hip is more prominent than the other or the hips are not leveled
- The spine line is not straight
You can also perform a Forward Bend test ( also called “ Adam’s test” ) to test for possible scoliosis. Standing with your feet together, then bend forward as far as you can with your palms together, fingers pointing at between you legs. Look at the back to see if one side of the back (either the upper or lower back region) is higher than the other side.
If you suspect you have scoliosis, the best way to be sure is being evaluated by a Doctor who will order the appropriate tests including xrays. Depending on the degree of curvature it may be suggested that surgery or wearing a brace is advisable to lessen the curvature. Patients often search for other options that are less invasive such as those we offer at the Scoliosis Treatment Clinic in Lakeland Florida. Contact us to schedule an appointment today or to discuss treatment options.